Indoor air quality (IAQ) is termed as the air quality within and around buildings and homes, especially as it relates to the health and comfort of building occupants.
What are Indoor Air Pollutants?
Air contaminants are pollutants that are present in the air and can put your health at risk.
People that are more vulnerable to the health effects of air pollution include:
- Pregnant women
- those with Heart and Lung conditions
There are 3 main types of Air Pollutants.
- Biological pollutants from living organisms like:
- mould and fungi
- house dust mites
- pollen and spores
- Chemical pollutants are gases, vapours and particles like:
- nitrogen dioxide (NO2)
- carbon monoxide (CO)
- volatile organic compounds (VOCs)
- dust or particles (particulate matter)
- Radiological pollutants are radioactive substances
According to WHO Indoor air pollution is worse than Outdoor air pollution.